PROGRAM OF EVENTS:
The 42nd IVU World Vegfest will be held in Accra, Ghana, in October 2014 and will last for six days - the first ever World VegFest event in Africa!
A variety of activities will be put together in a great celebration of enlightened people creating awareness and inspiring the general public to live a healthy lifestyle based on vegetarian diet.
All food at this great event will be entirely derived from plants, and all aspects will be consistent with vegan philosophy.
The following is a provisional summary of proposed activities (subject to change) to mark the 6-day celebration:
Monday, 29th September - Tuesday, 30th September
– Arrival of international guests and registration.
- A welcome cocktail will be organized for guests, delegates and speakers in the evening as a way to socialize with participants from around the world.
Wednesday, October 1
– Awareness Walk from Kwame Nkrumah Circle to the Ministry of Health. The walk is about 5 km and its aim is to create awareness as well as engage the Minister of Health by presenting a letter on our position on the state of the nation’s health from a vegetarian perspective.
- A day’s visit to two orphanages to donate food items and spend time with the children. A few vegetarian menus will be given to the caterers of the orphanages to urge them to incorporate veggie dishes into their diet of the children. We will also organize clean up exercises with them and have lunch with them.
-In the evening there will be a dinner (Akwaaba Dinner) at the Efua Sutherland Children’s Park in Accra. We will use this opportunity to introduce to the world authentic Ghanaian dishes that are suitable for vegetarians. Many of these dishes are almost forgotten in many parts of Ghana today!
Thursday, October 2
-Official Opening Ceremony /Educational Session Accra International Conference Centre Accra
-There will be a movie show in the evening.
Friday, October 3
-Educational Session Accra International Conference Centre Accra
-Evening: Arts & Awards Night (to award and acknowledge persons and organizations that have made significant progress in veganism and that have strived to create awareness about veganism and environmental friendly attitudes.)
Saturday, October 4
- VEGFEST EXPO (Food/Fun Games/Musical Fiesta at the Efua Sutherland Children’s Park
Accra). We shall have a night of musical performances from enlightened musicians who will be engaged on helping the Association to drive the message to the public on the need to live a healthy lifestyle.
Sunday, October 5
- Visit to select tourist attractions outside Accra returning same day. We will have several options of such day trips where depending on budget and time available, guests may choose to join anyone of several guided tours to see more of the host country – Ghana!
Some examples are visits to Cape Coast which will include a visit to the Castle and Kakum Forest Canopy Walkway. A visit to the Akwapim hills where guests can visit the Aburi Botanical gardens and Tetteh Quarshie’s original cocoa farm among other attractions.
During October we will be privileged to have several traditional festivals occurring, namely Odwira in the Akwapim region, Ngmayem festival of the Krobos and the Sasaadu festival of the people of Alavanyo in the Volta region. We shall also have a n option to tour Accra to see the Kwame Nkrumah memorial Park, Old town Accra, the Art Center and more!
Guests wishing to see more of Ghana can do so by booking one of several options of packages that will start on Tuesday morning when most depart. We will be able to arrange accommodation for a range of budgets from hostel to five star. The details of all these options including discounted pricing will be made available shortly so guests can select their tours before they arrive.
We are also working on ways in which we can create more value to encourage vegetarians from other African countries to participate.
We trust that this letter shall leave you with a better impression of the eagerness of the Vegetarian Association of Ghana to host this prestigious event and advance the cause of our vegetarian fraternity worldwide.
Free Day & Tours Outside Accra (OptionalTourist Centres Outside Accra
Monday, October 6
– Tours within Accra (optional)
Tuesday, October 7
-Trip to Togo and Nigeria(Optional)
-Bilateral Trade Mission Meetings
Wednesday, October 8
-Departure of International Guests
VAG Vegetarian Association of Ghana